How to start with Orchard development?
This is maybe the first question everybody starting with Orchard development asks. I.e. what should I do to have a Visual Studio solution that I can run and play with and use to start writing an Orchard module or theme? Here are the first steps.
- Get the latest source code. You have multiple options here (see also "Ways of source controlling an Orchard solution"):
- The "Releases" section on the Orchard project site always has the latest release's source. You could simply download the source in a zip package. This is easy to do and doesn't require Mercurial.
- Clone the Orchard repository and checkout the dev branch.
- Copy Orchard.sln: use a separate solution file for your custom development. This makes future upgrades easier.
- Create your own modules/themes: by using command-line scaffolding you can generate the skeleton for modules and themes.
- Add your newly created modules/themes to the solution. It's a nice practice to keep your custom modules separated from the built-in ones so now you could create a new solution folder for those and add your modules there.
- Start coding!
Don't hesitate, take an Orchard jumpstart now!
Thanks for this post. I am trying to setup something very similar to what you have explained. Keeping orchard source separate from our custom development source. Can you please provide a copy to download or elaborate more on the steps.
You can download the full Orchard source from the Orchard project site (linked) or by cloning the source repository.